A family-owned company since 1978
Providing quality care for seniors has been a passion of the Chur family for three generations. The legacy began with Robert R. and Mary Chur, who operated Aurora Park Health Care Center, a nursing home in East Aurora, New York. Their son, Robert M., started his career there as Administrator. In 1978, Bob and his wife, Carol, founded Heathwood Health Care Center in Williamsville. Today the company is owned by their daughter, Carla Suero, President and CEO, who has played key roles in the family business since 1994.
Heathwood was established as a 160-bed nursing home. Bob and Carol soon renamed their company ElderWood Senior Care and, over 35 years, added 18 more locations. With nine skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, eight assisted living residences, two independent living communities, and a pharmacy, ElderWood’s footprint stretched from Buffalo to Rochester, Syracuse and Waverly.
In 2013, 17 facilities were sold, along with the corporate name ElderWood Senior Care. The original name — Heathwood Assisted Living — was adopted as a tribute to the Chur family’s heritage and ongoing commitment to quality care.
Under the Chur family’s leadership, ElderWood developed a stellar reputation as a premier provider of residential elder care, and earned many prestigious awards. Among the most competitive and highly regarded were:
- 48 Quality Awards — including two coveted Gold Awards — from AHCA/NCAL, the American Health Care Association/National Center for Assisted Living. During this time, only seven Gold awards were granted nationally.
- 20 Innovative Practice Awards from NYSHFA, the New York State Health Facilities Association.
- Two Quality Improvement Awards from AMDA, the American Medical Directors Association.
- Two My InnerView Excellence in Action Awards from the National Research Corporation, for outstanding customer satisfaction.
- Buffalo Business Ethics Award (BBEA), recognizes companies that exemplify the highest standards of ethics.
ElderWood was also ranked among Business First’s top 15 companies in Western New York since 1988.