Making life enjoyable again
At both our locations, Penfield in Rochester and Williamsville in Buffalo, individuals whose memory is impaired can take advantage of an exceptional program. In a secure, thoughtfully designed environment, specially trained staff members use proven techniques to help residents feel calm and at home.
Heathwood has long been a leader in memory care. We offer an exceptional program for individuals with special needs, including Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Residents enjoy their daily routine in the welcoming atmosphere of our secure unit. They’re calm and comfortable in a soothing environment thoughtfully designed to look and feel like home.
Proven techniques, amazing results
Every staff member is trained in evidence-based practices — specialized techniques that help manage dementia-related behaviors at every stage of the disease. Residents show marked improvement under our care. They become less anxious, eat and sleep better, display fewer upsetting behaviors and often need less medication. Family relationships improve when stress disappears and loved ones seem more like their old, familiar selves.
Not every residence provides nursing supervision 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as Heathwood does. Concerned, attentive care comes from a team of dedicated professionals. Our quality assurance program offers additional peace of mind — our physician and care team closely monitor each resident to minimize falls, eliminate unnecessary medications and minimize hospitalizations.
Support for family and caregivers
Heathwood offers support groups at both locations. Trained individuals facilitate professionally-led sessions for anyone dealing with Alzheimer’s or other types of memory impairment. Topics typically include understanding memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer’s, medication and other treatment options, aging and brain health, caregiving skills, and how to find the best care from professionals. We encourage everyone to join — simply call the reception desk for dates and times.
We also work closely with the local chapters of the Alzheimer’s Association.
Important benefits and services
- Three chef-prepared meals each day — residents make their selections from a delicious menu with many options
- Individualized care plans — our comprehensive approach to memory care is personalized for each resident’s unique needs and abilities
- Meaningful activities — based on personality, history, preferences and abilities — are customized for each individual
- Round-the-clock nursing supervision, every single day
- Medication management
- Assistance with such activities of daily living (ADL) as bathing, dressing and other personal care
- Strengthening and motor skills exercise programs to help minimize falls
- Safety features include bathroom railings, night-lights and emergency pull cords, plus smoke detectors and a sprinkler system
- Daily housekeeping; laundry weekly or as needed
- Competitive pricing with no up-front investment
- Licensed as a Special Needs Assisted Living Residence (SNALR) by the New York State Department of Health
Get a better look on Facebook
Life at Heathwood brings something new every day — simply “like” us on Facebook and see. Let our photos and videos show you just how much is going on, how much camaraderie there is, and how much everyone enjoys being here. Then call for a tour and experience it all in person.
Contact us for more details
For more information about our proven memory care program, click on the link below, then call us to get started!